The imo Android app requires version 1.6 or higher
Multiple Protocols and Linked Accounts
- You only have to enter one login to stay connected to your friends through all of the protocols imo supports: AIM, Facebook, Google Talk, Steam, ICQ, Jabber, MSN, Yahoo and VKontakte.
- imo also lets you link all of your instant messaging accounts so when you log into a linked account, you will automatically be logged into all of the accounts you have linked.
- Create groups and chat with friends who are also logged into imo.
- To get started with group chat in imo, slide to the Contacts page and click on the “Chat Group” icon in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, then use the search bar to select people from your contacts to start a group chat.
- Once you have selected all the contacts for your group chat click the blue button at the bottom of the screen, “Create chat group”, to send your invite.
- This feature also allows you to name your chat groups, which makes it easy to locate previous group chats so that you can continue the same chat at another time.
- The group will continue to exist even after all members have signed out of imo.
- Share image and video files.
- Click on the “+” button to the left of the message bar, press “Attach” and choose from the drop down menu to select the multimedia attachment you wish to send.
- Send short voice messages instead of typing. imo allows you to send voice messages to your contacts, making them perfect for those times when you can’t easily type on the keyboard. Voice IMs are playable on most clients in addition to imo, so you can send them to just about anybody.
- To send a voice IM up to 30 seconds long, click on the “+” button in an open chat window, to the left of the type “your message” bar. Scroll through the drop down menu and select Voice IM from the bottom of the list. Press and hold the “Hold and Speak” button to record, then release it to send your message. Voice IMs can also be played on speaker with your Android device.
Voice Calling (beta)
- imo’s voice calling feature, still in beta mode, allows you to make completely free calls with friends who are also using the Android app.
- Select a buddy, and click the “+” button next to the type “your message” bar. Select “Voice Call” feature from the drop down menu and await your friend’s answer.
- This feature allows a user to send his/her imo profile to another imo operating device including Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Galaxy S III, HTC One X, and the Asus Nexus 7.
- Hold the phones together back-to-back until the “Touch to Beam” message appears on the sender’s phone. The sender then taps his/her phone screen and both imo profiles will pop up on each other’s phones. Add each other as contacts and you are ready to start chatting.
- Letting buddies know your whereabouts is easier than ever with imo’s location sharing feature.
- To share your location, open a chat with your buddy and click on the “+,” then click “Share Location.” A list of nearby locations will appear and you simply choose the one you want to share.
- Search your chat history and buddies quickly and easily.
- Search by sliding to the “Me” tab on the home screen and select “History” in the bottom left corner.
- You can also search your chat history by clicking on the “+” button in an open chat window and selecting “History” from the drop down menu and start searching through previous chats using the search bar at the top of the screen.
- Log in to any and all of the imo mobile apps (iPhone, iPad and Android) even if you are logged in on your computer. Imo allows you to be logged into multiple locations at once, with subsequent sign-ons even faster than the first.
- You can share existing images or take photos by clicking on the image of the camera on the bottom left of a group or private chat.
- Users can download these images in real-time.
- This new social discovery feature allows users to connect with people, news and topics they care about.
- Click the “Broadcasts” tab, located next to the “Messaging” tab. The more users engage with this feature, the more streamlined with their interests the information will be.
- To write a broadcast, click the pencil in the bottom left hand corner to express what’s on your mind, share interesting links, ask questions and more.
- Click the magnifying glass in the bottom right to show a list of all broadcasts you’ve created and joined, and allow for you to search for broadcasts and other imo Network users to chat with.
- Click “Tag It!” or the existing tag to quickly attach a thought to a broadcast.
- Message Previews - Preview messages arriving on other tabs so you can easily decide when to switch conversations.
- Emoticons - Enable emoticons to show your buddies exactly how you feel.
- Sleep mode - Disable your sound notifications while sleeping.
- Landscape Mode - Type comfortably with landscape mode
- Push Notifications - Receive push notifications when you are logged into the app, even if you aren’t actively chatting.
- Session Length - Keep your sessions active for 72 hours before you are logged off.
- Missed message e-mails – If you receive a message after you’ve logged out of imo, you will receive a notification through your verified e-mail address.